Last night, 350+ CBCers and friends came together to enjoy Dean Guyton's brisket, Bud Baker's pulled pork, somebody's sausage (?!), potato salad, beans and good company... Oh yea, and no less than 5,984 pieces of every imaginable flavor of pie. It was a full and happy crowd... And a thankful one, as all but a few filed back into the sanctuary to publicly or quietly remember blessings and the many reasons to be thankful this season.
Although I had to leave early, I would have added this (probably already stated last night, but worth reiterating):
I'm so thankful for Steve Hixon and the difficult passage he and Darlene have endured as they made their way into our church. Under Steve's guidance our strong, scripture-first church continues to put God's word into effect ... presented to us in unique and individual ways by each of our pastors. I am very thankful for our lead and support shepherds at CBC. We are now a church that has brought in new and energetic ministries (Sammy's incredibly personal stamp on our worship, children and middle school guys, Roddy and Charlie, career ministries, divorce care, teen MOPS, and young adults to name but a few).
Unlike ever before, talents and skills of CBC's church body are highlighted for enjoyment, but also to bring front and center the gifts God has given to so many! [Not the least of which is Steve's incredible photographer's eye.] He has begun encouraging, filming and sharing for our congregation, clips of real life issues experienced by several CBC family members. We'd have to be half alive not to see and feel how this brings us closer as a church.
Steve and Darlene, in the short two years they've been here, have already taken a large group to Israel and Steve has gone to Africa... a walking the walk, especially when there were still "new pastor" struggles. But missions, and the importance of Christ-led relationships within our own walls and abroad, has already been reflected by example.
The women's ministry went out on a limb this fall and combined two separate groups in an effort to bring these believers into each others' lives. We pray, eat breakfast, sing and study on a single day, instead of two ~ in the new Side by Side program. This happened, I believe, because of the new leadership's open door policy and acceptance of doing things differently.
I think ALL of these changes are because a new pastor has finally started to shake off the ghosts of CBC's past and is now making his own footsteps in which others are beginning to follow.
So this season... I am VERY thankful to God for sending Steve and Darlene to Crossroads Bible Church.
No comments:
Post a Comment